Monday, June 13, 2005

It is the malady of living in a small town for the majority of your life: there multitudes of people you know, but then there are the mobs who think they know you. The younger generation of small town-ers usually fall into two groups; the ones who love the town, marry young, and stay for the rest of their lives, and then there are those who can't wait to "...shake the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and see the world.", in the words of George Bailey. I used to be the latter of the two. I shook the dust off my feet and went to school, rejoicing that I had 'gotten out'. I love my family, and have come back to visit them over breaks, but couldn't have really cared less to come back to the town and the people in it. This has been my general perspective for the past three years, as I have dreamt of bigger and better places to be.

Change seems to be coming with this summer break, though. I don't know that I can fully explain it yet, except to say that I think it comes from my perspective of life and people has changed. The accomplishments one can make in a larger area are undeniable. After all, isn't it the goal of any professional career, to get to the city where all the connections are and climb the ladder? However, isn't the larger picture fulfilling the Great Commission, our true calling as Christians, supposed to encompass every area of the world? Granted, I fully believe that the Great Commission is to be fulfilled through our everyday occupations and activities, but this annoyance or dislike that small town-phobiacs have of too many people knowing them is a sad perspective of an amazing opportunity. Individuals who feel that they know you, and visa-versa, are prime subjects for Christ to impact through you because they generally more available and willing to build relationships. Is this not how Christ impacted and converted those around Him?

I can't say that these feelings or perspectives are fully formulated yet. I also am not saying I am planning on living in a small town for the rest of my life. I have no idea what God is going to put in my path to do. Maybe I am saying, though, that small towns and the people in it don't seem so depressing and stifling anymore. Nothing is really as bad as it at first seems.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dusty Trails said...

"Nothing is really as bad as it at first seems."

This may sound self-serving but your statement reminded me of one of my poems which I have now posted. Courtesy of your nudge...
Poem is "Three Days Later"

I grew up in a "small" town. In my wildest dreams I never would have guess what was in store for me.

I'm still not sure what's in store for me...

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home