Sunday, May 22, 2005

Since I've been away this semester, my family has begun attending a new church. This morning was only my second Sunday morning, so I sat with my family I looked around the congregation for anyone I knew, or anyone my age that looked interesting. There were plenty of senior citizens, a good number of middle-aged couples with families, and a smattering of people in my age bracket. I was getting half-way interested until I realized that all the people over the age of 20 in the sanctuary were all married. All of them! I didn't see one single person my age who wasn't at least married, if not bringing 2-3 children in tow! Not that marriage necessarily makes people uninteresting, but it makes making new friends a little more difficult. I realized that since I left for school at 18 (when everyone was still single) until now, four years later, all of those single people who didn't leave and go to school found at least one thing to do - making babies! Now I feel like the odd one out, thank goodness.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who reads yopur xanga? I hope not, it's so much fun.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Anonymous...no.

This is an amusing post Odessa. You make me feel like I escaped or something. Maybe you're right.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe one ought to wait a good while to marry and have children. In one's early twenties, a person has just finished being a child, oneself. It's important to go about and experience the richness of what life has to offer as an adult, before becoming immersed again in family life.

Furthermore, a child is indeed, much better off with a parent who thought more in depth about the prospect of having kids, and who has learned a bit more about the world.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home