Tuesday, May 03, 2005

It's a strange feeling, this being completely finished with everything this semester. All papers are submitted, all juries are performed, all music is turned in, and all that is left is my locker of books that I have to haul home. And for the next five days what will I be doing? I don't know! It's a beautiful thought.

After I accompanied my last jury (Ravel's Pavane) this afternoon, I went and had a long chat with my voice teacher. We went over my jury sheets and comments from the competition I was in earlier in the year. They all had good things to say, and all their critiques were concerning the same thing: my tone is too swallowed in the throat. At least they all said the same thing. We then talked about grad school and doctorate programs; what they were like, where the good ones are, etc, etc. After next year I will have to get serious about applying and auditioning for where I decide to go. It's honestly a little scary to think I'm this close to my graduate work will have to make those decisions so soon.

I then went across the suite and into another office where the chair of the vocal department and my choir director were trying to find a pianist that will still be here the week after next. I told them good luck. . .we're all getting out of here as soon as we can. It's time to go home and play music just for fun, even though we won't get paid for it.

Somehow whenever I talk to both those women our conversation goes in the most random places. Today it went from risque Debussy music, to diction class, to how marrying someone from the geek club is the best option. Yes, that's right. Not greek club, geek club. The question is, do I find a musical geek, or a non-musical geek? My director's answer: non-musical. Then at least one of you can make a decent living.

This post is just as rambling as my thoughts. All logical and systematic thinking has flown out the window for a few days at least. Tomorrow I am going to sleep. For a long time. And then I am going to open my eyes and think about getting up. Laziness is a luxury that I haven't been able to indulge in all semester. Surely five days of it won't damage my character too much.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear O,
you're such a silly girl when you are tired. I love your ramblings and always have - silly or not:)enjoy your wee break from college life while still at college. It almost seems like you can laugh at it all from this perspective. Don't you agree? see you in 5 days! ! ! xxxoooo mommy

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear O,
You're such a silly girl when you are tired. I love your ramblings and always have - silly or not:) Enjoy your wee break from college life while still at college. It almost seems like you can laugh at it all from this perspective. Don't you agree? See you in 5 days! ! ! xxxooo mommy

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know where my comments are going?:(

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friendships come in many flavors, so to speak. People of differing personality types have different visions for how friendship ought to be experienced.

I believe it's vital in seeking a lifelong companion, that one finds someone who speaks the same social language as oneself.

I have a little model which I've been toying with recently about personality types - I've found it helpful to group people into different categories. Playfully, I have decided that pets seem to offer convenient little templates through which to view humans' personality facets. Some people, seem similar to dogs - they have in themselves a very strong ethic of loyalty. They want constant social interaction with people, To them, the beauty of social interaction is rooted in the choreography which their culture has laid out.

Other people are more catlike, perhaps one could say. They desire friendships with deep silent moments of interaction. They can look deep into their friend's eyes, and have a feeling of intimacy which is very profound. These types of people think very deeply, and they require hours of solitude to do so. They desire to bring what they've learned to the friendship and upbuild it's contour.

To be blunt, I believe that one of the biggest mistakes young women make is to look for a boyfriend or spouse purely based on economic considerations.

If a couple is poorly matched, over the course of time they'll start seeing each other through the eyes of a cultural stereotype.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home