Monday, April 18, 2005

Conversation between a friend and I after playing our music for each other. . .

"It just needs an end now."
"I know, but I always have a hard time ending songs."
"Really? I can always write the end and never the beginning."
Laughing
"We should get together and put our songs together. That way we might actually have a whole song."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In retrospect, I realize how vulnerable I feel when I sing my own music for someone. Not that I have written that much. Because of a less than positive experience in the past, I often feel that music I write isn't good enough for even me, let alone an audience. I'm especially critical of myself because I don't want anything I write to sound like something that has been written before. If I'm going to write, it has to at least sound original! Yet, I can't let that keep me from writing what I feel or experience. When I let someone else hear it, though, I feel as if my soul is laid bare, as if all of me is out on the keys and in the air. . .open. . .vulnerable. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home