Wednesday, February 23, 2005

At 11:24 p.m. I quietly slid my key into the lock and eased open my door. It had been a rather uneventfully long day. I had just attended a violin, cello, and piano concert which had lasted a hour and a half longer than expected. Although it was a good concert, it had gone over the edge, especially when the musicians came back out for an encore that no one wanted them to play. So after practicing for an hour after the concert, all I wanted to do was brush my teeth and fall into bed.

When I opened the door and stepped into the darkness of the kitchen, I glanced down at the counter where my mail was sitting. My eyes dismissed the magazine, and fell delightfully on an envelope with my handwritten name and address. I smiled as I carefully broke the seal of the creamy paper, and slipped out sheets of delicate stationary that were filled with my sister's handwriting. Reading her writing was like having her with me in a one-sided conversation, saying nothing mundane or silly, but just those little things that only matter to sisters. I read the letter twice before slipping it back into the envelope and carrying it downstairs with me. I turned out the light and crawled into the covers, feeling my sister's love and missing her in my sleep.

1 Comments:

Blogger Charisa said...

oh darling, I feel all warm and fuzzy! I'm going to write you this very night!!!!! luv luv luv ya.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home