Thursday, January 27, 2005

There are times when I wonder what in the world I could have done to make someone respond to me in the way that they do. Though I may try to be understanding, unassuming, and accepting, that is sometimes never enough. My concern and interest and normal everyday friendliness is met with indifference and distance.

I try not to take this like a slap in the face, but it nevertheless leaves me a stunned and puzzled. I know I must keep in mind that it may not necessarily be me that they are responding to, but rather things within themselves that come to light when I am standing there. But I still feel the slight, and I realize again that people will disappoint you without much cause. Yet I cannot resign myself to believing that is who they are or all they will ever be because I have seen the good, the noble, and the strong within them. Perhaps this is to my detriment. . . I don't know. Sometimes it seems like being the best kind of friend is allowing the person not to be friends with you at all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are amazingly perceptive. you have discovered the meaning of genuine love. Have you heard it said; "If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it is yours. If it doesn't, it wasn't yours in the first place". Loving someone or something without requiring ownership is the highest form of love -- think, Jesus. And you can never lose if you love. If you withhold love, the loss is certainly not limited to the one you withhold it from.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home