Monday, October 04, 2004

Today I officially met one of the dishwashers who works in my kitchen. He and his friend have been recent additions to the dishwasher crew, which cycles through new dishwashers regularly. They have been some of the longest lasting dishwashers we have had. And they have been there for about three weeks now.

We had never had a conversation before today, beyond 'where does this go?' 'it goes over there' exchanges. Today I ran into him in the food court, and we both exchanged names and basic introduction information. I discovered that he is from Nepal, and when he in turn discovered that I knew where Nepal was, he was elated. Apparently students here are not educated enough on geography to know where Nepal is. I had never met someone from Nepal before, but I'm always intrigued when I meet people from different parts of the world. After our conversation was over, I started to think of all the different countries that I know people from. This is my list so far.

United States
Canada
Uganda
Bahamas
Caymen Islands
South Korea
South Africa
Guam
Germany
Nepal
Dominican Republic
Peru
Brazil
Australia
Haiti
Finland
Mexico
Thailand
Puerto Rico

Knowing people from all of these countries is fascinating to me. The only downfall is that no matter where I am, I am always going to be halfway across the world from someone. But then again, I can go to any continent in the world and have my own personal tour guide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home