Friday, October 01, 2004

There are times (like now), in which I dislike school very much for one reason. I dislike it because even though we are here to become educated about our world and humanity, we inadvertently end up withdrawing from the very things we study. I am here to learn new ideas and learn about the world around me, and yet I find no time in which to keep up with what is going on in the outside world. For instance, as much as I wanted to watch the Presidential debate last night, I had to miss the entire debate because of a study session. As much as I want to watch the news, I find myself buried in a book or the practice rooms, learning and practicing history. It is not until the news is old that I catch up with it. And then I'm still learning history. As much as I want to know what is going on in the current music world, I find myself too busy practicing and analyzing theory to find out.

I wonder what that will mean when I graduate? I will burst forth from the Lee University cocoon, knowing everything inside but nothing outside. I am resolved to make an effort not become mummified in the world of Lee, even though I am a music major. It must be possible.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would the alternative be to administer education at a slower pace so as to make room for the student to assimilate current affairs into their educational experience? Maybe adding a year or two so the schedule is not so intense, thereby allowing time to keep up with what's going on in the world? I'm not sure many people would like that either:(

11:31 PM  
Blogger odessa said...

Yeah, I can't say I would be too enthusiastic about that solution either. I think I'd rather get done sooner and try and keep up with the world on my own.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home